Cappella di S. Lucio

Mountain Cultural/natural/religious point of interest


This is the oldest building in the Mesolcina valley. It is the only one of its kind in the region and consists of a square oratory joined to a round one built on a rocky ridge beside the cantonal road. The walls are decorated with late 14th-century wall paintings by Lombard artists. The oratory, which probably dates from the 14th century, was extended and altered in the 17th century, while the round building, in the style of a baptistery, is of Carolingian origin (8th century).

Collegiata dei SS. Giovanni e Vittore

Mountain Cultural/natural/religious point of interest


This mother church for the Mesolcina and Calanca regions is a chapter of canons (1219-1885). Built as a hall church in the 13th century, the present building has a basilica structure with a nave and two side aisles and a polygonal choir with umbrella vault. The interior was subsequently redesigned in the Baroque style (1731). The wall paintings include some early Renaissance works on the altar of the Holy Cross (1498); there are also numerous canvases (17th-18th centuries) including a Crucifixion by Nicolao Giuliani (1680).

Museo Moesano

Mountain Cultural/natural/religious point of interest


Inaugurated in 1949 as an ethnographic museum, it also documents the work of the 'magistri moesani' (architects, stucco workers, builders, etc. from the Moesa district) who worked in the German area in the 17th and 18th centuries and produced some Baroque architectural masterpieces. One section is dedicated to the exceptional architectural heritage of the Moesa district. Important relics and faithful reconstructions, with explanatory tables and films, recount the history of the people who lived in this region from the Mesolithic Period up to the Middle Ages, and describe the role of the valley in the network of transalpine communication routes.

Torre di Pala

Mountain Cultural/natural/religious point of interest


Standing on a rock above the district of the same name, it was probably built at the end of the 1700s and extended in the following century. The six-storey rectangular building with battlements was probably part of a larger settlement of which only a few ruins remain. It was the residence of the Sacco family, lords of the valley, or their officers, before being abandoned in the 15th century.

Back to Portal

App download

About Us

The Trails for the Modern Wayfarer have been created by a chain of Local Authorities, to promote hiking opportunities and facilities around Lake Como and the Swiss region of the Val Mesolcina in the Canton of Graubünden (French: Grisons; Italian: Grigioni). 

Address: Via Borgovico - 22100 - Como (CO)
Telephone: +39 031/2755595
Email: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. E' necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.

Clic here

Photo Flickr

Social network

  

Contact here:






JoomShaper

Compare Products

To compare with other products, close this box and click on "Compare" button of other product.