SOn the mountains sloping down to the village stands the abbey of Acquafredda. It was originally called the monastery of Roncate after the site on which it was built, but was later named Acquafredda in honour of what was believed to be a miraculous spring.
It was founded in 1142, although the church was not constructed until between around 1153 and 1193. The church, an example of the Como Baroque style, has a simple fa?ade with tympanum, and single nave with stucco decorations and an entrance porch. Worthy of note are the frescoes by Giovanni Mauro Della Rovere, better known as 'il Fiamminghino', dating from 1621, and the altarpiece of the Annunciation. The walls and vault are decorated with the thirteen Stories dedicated to the life of Saint Bernard. Of the original building the apse, the base of the bell tower and the burial place of Saint Agrippinus have been preserved.